Monday, May 18, 2009

5/18/09 Bear Scare


I had planned to go for a run early this morning before we drove to Albuquerque. i was having a nervous feeling with thoughts of a bear chasing me as I ran so I decided to walk. Bob had planned to cycle. At the last minute Bob decided to walk with me. The road is 20-25 feet from our trailer. We walked on out to the road and there they were, BEAR TRACKS, BIG BEAR TRACKS. OH SHIT!! They were going down my running road or rather I was going to run down his road. I told Bob, "I'm not going", emphatically! maybe i can run when we get to Albuquerque.
We walked that road last night and returned home about 8 PM, although we did bushwack back off the road. He had to have passed us between 7 last night and early this morning. Could we have been sitting having coffee when he strolled right on by? Black bears are not nocturnal.
We've seen a bunch of scat but following tracks is just looking for trouble.
We stopped at the ranger Station in Quemado about 30 miles away. 4 Rangers looked at the glove and at the photo. They seemed amazed. They said the bear is 350-400 lbs. and at least 6 feet in length. I quess they do not eat fresh kill, but I was scared nonetheless.
Further down the road on S.R. 117 we came to this incredible lava flow that went on and on. We came to this area called the narrows and did not understand it until we realized this lava flow comes right up to the mountains and left just enough room for a road for 25 miles. At places the lava looked like roads turned upside down. In other places it looked ragged and as rough as you can imagine, still in other places they looked like eruptions boiling up through the surface and cracked into half where you could look right into them.

No comments: